Thursday, June 5, 2008

Reflection Eternal

It's rather surreal, or just plain hard to believe that I am about to give a speech at a high school graduation as a teacher. I only graduated from high school 5 years ago and now I am the teacher at the podium presenting awards to the graduating class. How strange. Tomorrow is graduation.

I remember being in high school with dreams of becoming a teacher. I think every student at one time or another wants to be a teacher, to make up for their own teachers' shortcomings or to be like that one great teacher they had. I remember watching one of my teachers one day in high school and thinking "I don't want to do that". Now here I am as a high school teacher, graduating my first class. Who would have thunk?

------------------------------------

I submitted my primary medical school application and now I'm waiting for my transcripts to be verified. Once everything is ready to go, secondaries will start to come, first from the schools that send them to everyone and then hopefully some after I've been screened first.

I don't like when people ask me what school I want to go to. I really don't care. Not because I'm a poor applicant or that I'm apathetic, it's just that I want to go to school. I don't care where because I'll be just as happy at an unranked school than at a top ten school in California. I just want to learn. Honestly.

Unfortunately there is a whole year before I can actually do that, but one step at a time. Complete all my grades by next week, go SCUBA diving on Koh Tao, work summer camp, go volunteer in Sri Lanka (maybe?), complete the first quarter, move back to the United States, then a whole flurry of things to do once I'm back there. Not like it's a chore what I'm doing here, I love it, in fact it's the returning to the US thing I'm not thrilled about.

No comments: