Friday, January 4, 2008

Continued Stream of Consciousness

Every morning I was awoken by the head chef, and one time one of the cooking girls, standing over me with a cup of chai. Blind without my contacts, and dreary eyed I steadied my hands and slowly focused on slipping my index finger through the loop of the tea cup. Upon lifting the cup I tilted my head left slowly with a smile. Propped up on one hand I sipped my chai slowly, and then got back under the covers.

There is no translation for "thank you" in Hindi. Kindness is expected. One only need acknowledge service.

Everyday, families would come from the poor villages and donate clothes, food, and sweets to the orphanage. On my first day, one such family had arrived. I remarked to the man of the family that what he was doing was very good. He looked at me puzzled, and said something to the effect that this was normal; expected. He rather plainly stated that this is what everyone should be doing. People who say Hinduism is a selfish religion have never met a Hindu in their life.

Because the cafeteria does not open for another day, I had to fend for myself for the first time up in the mountains tonight. I went to a shack just outside the school and saw a fish sitting on a bowl of coals. I ate that fish and a large lump of sticky rice for 39 Baht. Ah, Thailand. One thing that I missed - interaction with women. The woman who sold me my fish was giddy to speak to me in English and Thai, giddy to offer me sticky rice, giddy to explain she had no beer, giddy that I denied the 1 baht change. I completely forgot how friendly Thais are. Indian hospitality is unmatched. Is the Thais ability to be personable their claim to fame?

I have a feeling that most of my greatest moments from India will seep into my memory beyond manual recollection. I imagine these memories will pop up randomly in conversation: "that reminds me of when I was in India..." and I look forward to that.

God is good. When I arrived in Chiang Mai I was given Alila. When I arrived in Laos, I, by seeming chance, befriended a well spoken Laotian who drove myself and my companion over an hour into Vientianne for free. Upon re-entering Chiang Mai I was at a total loss as to how to get back up the mountain. A coworker happened to have just got off another airplane and flagged me down across the baggage claim. She hailed a cab and we split the fare up the mountain. God is good. I make an effort to smile continuously.

I pray I never complain again.

Books I've read in the past 2 months: Jesus of Suburbia, Hot Zone, Yoga Sutra of Patanjali, Siddartha, Essays on the Gita, Passage through India, Job, John, and Acts. I forgot how enjoyable reading can be.

No comments: