Monday, December 10, 2007

Free Time

I had the entire day off after working the morning shift. Most of the day was spent arranging things, and teaching. I also started looking into plans for my break in March. Unless I come up with something better, I found a cool trip to Uganda to build houses. We'll see how that plays out in the next few months. At night I found myself bored so I read the book of Job and then the book of John. Both were great reads. Job was challenging.

I always thought the book of Job was mainly in order to show that bad things do happen to good people. The meaning of the book is much deeper and more theological. The point of the book is mostly to disprove the idea that "being good" causes God to reward you and "being bad" causes God to punish you. God doesn't operate like that - you don't stub your toe in the morning because you sinned sometime recently. The book of Job shows two things: the sheer size of God, and that sometimes it seems that the evil prosper and the righteous suffer. In the end however, God is just and rewards the righteous and punishes the wicked.

I don't think I've ever read the book of John in entirety and it felt really good. I've known almost all the Bible stories and especially the life of Jesus since I was a young child, but to actually read the words themselves all together was something new to me. One thing that stood out to me was how many times, at the Last Supper, Jesus told his disciples that they could ask anything in His name and it would be given to them. Jesus goes on to say that they should do this while letting His words abide in them. In other words, when you know what Jesus is about and what he wants, you will know what to be asking for. Very cool indeed. I stopped reading for a second and asked God to do work through me in India next week and here at the school.

I got bored later on and decided I would like to start memorizing all the bones in the body, starting with the skull. I can now identify all the bones of the skull including the foramen, lines, and sutures from all views except the interior and inferior (inferior is hard, I'll save it for later).

1 comment:

Team ed. said...

Hahah, this reminds me of when you helped me review the bones for my bio class, including the sutures and the foramen, etc.

Thanks for sharing your insight into what you're reading-it's incredibly encouraging.

It reminds me of that one song (the book of Job, that is) "You give and take away. You give and take away. My heart will surely say, Blessed be the name of the Lord."