Tuesday, November 17, 2009

One Woman For Me

I feel like writing. Maybe I just feel like thinking.

For some reason, this 311 song came on Pandora, and it brought back this memory when I was in French Polynesia. I was laying on my bed in this hotel in Moorea, and I was thinking about all the beds I've slept in. I thought to myself "I must have slept in more beds than anyone". As the fan kept spinning, an no doubt my iPod slowly massaged my reticular activating system into sleep, I reflected on how plastic my life had been in the past 2 years. I think it was as I was brushing my teeth and I looked into the mirror I took a moment to register how familiar this bathroom has become to me. Although it was unfamiliar to me just a few months ago, now this is home.

Whenever I stick a toothbrush in my mouth it makes me want to do everything but brush my teeth. IE. I sit here typing while the brush just sits in my mouth. I always get such great ideas while brushing my teeth, for instance, a tribute to beds.

October 2007:
Top bunk of a bunk bed in a homestay in Phnom Penh.
Single hotel bed in Siem Reap

Novemeber 2007:
Shared a hotel double bed in Bangkok with my Dad.
Shady hotel bed in Surat Thani.
Sleeper bed in a train from Surat Thani back to Bangkok.
Single bed in a Chiang Mai homestay where a katoey recently killed a foreigner.
My tiny apartment bed in Hangdong, Chiang Mai with 101 dalmations blanket
Single bed next to Paula in Vientiane, Laos - 2nd worst illness of all time
Temple floor in Laos
Single bed in a room with a rat staring at me in Udon Thani
Guesthouse in Chiang Mai

December 2007:
Flat wooden board in Bhagola, India
Guesthouse in Chiang Mai

February 2008:
Bamboo floor of a hilltribe house
Shared double bed with Chaney and Paula in a hut on a lake at the top of a mountain, somewhere outside of Chiang Mai

April 2008:
Tiny little bed in Tacloban, Philippines
Hotel bed in the mountains of Chiang Rai

June 2008:
Single bed next to Paula on Koh Tao
Shared bed on the beach of Koh Phangan with Paula
Single bed in a different guesthouse in Koh Tao

July 2008:
Tiny little bed next to Chaney on Khao San Road, Bangkok
Even tinnier bed with mosquito net in Kosgoda, Sri Lanka

August 2008:
Suan Bua hotel double bed!

September 2008:
Parents' giant bed in Redondo Beach, CA
Jenny Andreason's awesome couch in Washington DC
2nd cousin's giant bed in his family's house in Cleveland, OH
Tori's couch Columbus, OH!
Jules' couch Cincinnati, OH!
Sheevaun's folding bed Winston-Salem, NC
Anh's couch with delicious food in New Orleans, LA

October 2008:
Brother's couch in Manhattan, NY
Alaina's awesome blow up mattress Boston, MA
Plush hotel bed in San Antonio, TX

November 2008:
David's spare bed in Omaha, NE

January 2009:
Single bed next to my Dad on Rangiroa, French Polynesia
Single bed across from my Dad on Moorea, French Polynesia

February 2009:
Tiny bed with the huge valley in it in my host family's house in Cusco, Peru

March 2009:
My old Suan Bua room in Hangdong, Chiang Mai!

April 2009:
Maekok River Valley Resort in Chiang Rai, Thailand

June 2009:
Overpriced little bed in an ultra hot hotel room in Casablanca, Morocco
Dusty floor of our 3rd story loft in Rissani, Morocco
Floor of a tent in the Sahara, Morocco
Hotel in the rocky wasteland mountains of Rissani, Morocco
Beautiful hotel bed next to Christina in Madrid, Spain

August 2009:
Futon in Newport Beach

Sprinkle in a about 10 different full nights on the floors and chairs of various airports (atleast 3 in Suvarnabhumi - so cold in there)

Nothing like a good mental exercise. So completes my ode to the bed.

2 comments:

gretchen said...

i love your blog.
seriously.. you should write more. ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.