Friday, September 11, 2009

Greatest Metaphor I've Heard All Week

Haven't written in a dang good while.

Today I begin my collection of Sahid stories. About 3 weeks ago, I cruised down to the BBQ to cook up a bunch of food. Now because there are only 2 BBQ's in the complex, they are often occupied, and people aren't always willing to offer up a little open space on the grill. So I walk up to this old looking Arabic looking guy and ask if he has any spare room on the grill for me. The man turns around with a big sweeping gesture and says "my friend, everything I have is yours!". I knew I was in for a good experience.

He introduced himself as Professor Sahid, and is an Egyptian man somewhere in his 60's I'd venture to guess. Professor Sahid is a professor of IT, takes great pride in his work, is full of wild stories, and serves up abundant advice and wisdom along with well cooked chicken in a most delicious marinade. Previously, I have received advice on how to select a good wingman while in times of war, how to be a successful physician (read books - point well taken), how to balance my life and studies, and why not to convert to Islam to marry a Muslim woman.

This evening I met Sahid again down at the BBQ. Like clockwork, he moved his food over, offered me the leftovers of his marinade for my steaks, and took charge over them on the grill. The most memorable story of tonight was the time when, in the Egyptian Army, a man approached him about a shark problem that was interfering with his fishing. Without thinking twice, Sahid stuck a bomb inside a fish, put the fish on a hook, and threw that fish into the water on a line. When the shark grabbed it, he hit the detonator, and poof, no more shark!

As much as I may suspect Sahid's stories are slightly embellished or that his advice is self indulgent, I have great respect for all elders, and understand that wisdom comes from experience. I also understand and respect Arabic hospitality, and know that when he says he has a place for me in Egypt any time I want, I know he means it and I hope to one day take him up on the offer.

Cheers to you, Sahid.

PS. Today marks me being back from Thailand for one year now. I was going to say back in the US, but I've only spent 3 full months in the country this year. How blessed I am.

No comments: