Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Top of the Pop

School is going great and I love teaching. What more could I ask for?

Praise God.

Monday morning I was approached by the basketball coach and asked if I could fill in for her for today's game since she would be out. I said ok, for really no other reason than that I have made it my job to say "yes" here. I have made it my duty to do everything I possibly can to assist staff, students, and the school in general here.

So today I showed up to the gym at 3:30. Not only do I have no experience in coaching a basketball team, I don't even know all the rules. As the game went on I learned more and more. A turning point for me was figuring out how to sub people, hehe. So the game began. Sure our team had a 100% unexperienced coach (not to mention unexperienced basketball player). Sure not all of our players had uniforms (wearing gym shorts and "I Love to Read!" shirts). Sure most of our team were playing in slip on shoes. Maybe we didn't "know the rules", maybe we didn't have a "game plan", hehe. Long story short, we all had a great time (especially me), and we won! We won 25 to 17! I think that was the first game these girls won before, and they were so happy. I shook hands with the other coach and walked back to my classroom and returned to grading. Just another instance of switching hats around here.

I can't help but think God is putting his hand on everything I've been doing here. I am finding success in places I never imagined I could before. Teaching, advising, tutoring, coaching?! What next? Every good and perfect gift comes from above. No doubt. These are all good things, and Lord knows these successes are not mine.

Praise God.

1 comment:

Team ed. said...

I love that story--it made me chuckle in class.

ANd yes-He does have in hand on everything you're doing!!